Review: Originated Under Twin Suns, by Michael Pickard

I'm notoriously nitpicky about my sci-fi.  I've been a fan of all versions of Star Trek since before I knew how to properly pronounce Rene Aberjoinois.  I like Star Wars, but I don't feel the need to wear my light saber to work.  Other than that, I really am more into Tolkein and Butcher than Bradbury or Asimov.

When I received Michael Pickard's novel, billed as "space satire," my ears perked up a bit.  The first chapter made me chuckle, so I threw caution to the wind and decided to dive in.  


The Good

Mr. Pickard's experience as a previously published author made this book's quality a definite cut above most self-published books.  
  • The text had good flow and a defined voice.  
  • Language use by the Frobs were consistent and had voice.
  • It was filled with clever puns that made me chuckle.
  • There were parts that reminded me of Monty Python, which always brightens my day, even if it doesn't involve fish slapping, silly walks, or shrubberies.
  • It was easy to visualize the action.  
  • The plot was multi-layered and complex enough to be interesting, but not so complicated and spread out that it felt like reading Game of Thrones.

The Bad

  • The middle sagged, lacking enough action to compel the reader to need to turn the page.
  • Occasionally he spent too much time inside the characters' heads.
  • I see what he was going for when he wrote the ending, but I found it a bit unsatisfying.
  • The title doesn't flow as well as I'd like.

The Ugly

  • The cover art.  Eeeep.

The quality is a far cut above most self-published works.  As space satire goes, the closest analog I could think of was Space Balls, but the humor reminded me more of British understatement than Brooksian absurdity.  Overall, it was worth the read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Genre Dilemma

The Idiom Exchange

He Got Pain Right